Claims & Help Center

> Own Damage Claims / Beyond Economical Repair > Overview

Own Damage Claims / Beyond Economical Repair


What is an Own Damage Claim?

A claim towards loss or damages sustained by your vehicle in an accident on your own policy with comprehensive coverage.             

Your NCD (No Claims Discount) is forfeited when you make this claim.                                                              

Only cover damages to your vehicle specified in Policy, excluding compensations such as compensation of assessed repair time unless you have extension coverage on CART. 

Who can make an Own Damage Claim?

Only valid for comprehensive motor insurance policyholders.

How To Make A Claim?

  1. Report accident to the police within 24 hours as required by law.
  2. Send your vehicle to an authorised panel repairer. Find a repairer nearest to you here or call us at Toll Free Number 1 800 88 3833 & 1 800 88 6333 for assistance. 

Note - Read and understand the "Claims Guide For Motor Accidents" by Bank Negara Malaysia. Click on your preferred language (English | BM | Chinese).

What Are The Supporting Documents? 

  1. Claims Form 
  2. Police report (original copy) 
  3. Updated vehicle ‘s registration card
  4. Insured & Driver's Identity Card (copy)
  5. Insured & Driver's driving license (copy)
  6. Insurance policy/certificate (copy)
  7. Hire Purchase Agreement (copy) – applicable if there is hire purchase
  8. Vehicle permit (for commercial vehicle)
  9. Good’s driving license (GDL) or Public Services license (PSV)- for commercial vehicle
  10. Business registration (copy)- applicable for company registration vehicle.

General FAQ


1. When to notify the insurance in the event of a claim?

You need to notify us as soon as possible or within a reasonable time in order to have your claim indemnified.

The reasonable time for notification will be:

  • within 7 days of the date of accident if you are not physically disabled or hospitalized following the event.
  • within 30 days or as soon as reasonable if you are physically disabled or hospitalized as a result of the event.


2. Where I can send my vehicle for repair?

You must send your vehicle to an authorised panel repairer. You can either use ‘Panel Workshop Locator’ to search a workshop or contact AmGeneral Call Centre at 1 800 88 3833 for assistance.


3. What is the duration to repair my vehicle?

The repair time will depend on the extent of damages sustained to your vehicle. If you need further information, you may opt to call us or the repairer directly.


4. What should I do if I am unhappy with the repairs of my vehicle?

The panel repairer shall allow the Insured within 6 months from the date of delivery of the vehicle, namely repair warranty period to lodge any complaint as to the repair work carried out by the panel repairer and if so required by the Insured to rectify the same at the cost and expenses of the panel repairer.

Please take note that the damage highlighted for rectification must be consistent with the reported accident.